It is currently 28 Apr 2017, 08:13

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3D related problems!
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 13:57 

Anyone stuck with any 3D related topics? Archicad, Maxwell Render, vue7 i will be able to help! also if your need in of blocks BIM objects. Materials! i very happy to share! im a 5th year architecture student! also run a small 3D visualisation firm http://www.jimaging.co.uk if your bored!. So i feel all your architectural related pain!
J

J-iMage3D http://www.jimaging.co.uk

Post subject: Re: 3D related problems!
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 20:30 
SuperAdmin
SuperAdmin

Sounds excellent, I love the website! Some good Flash, did you do that yourself?
At uni here we do the majority of our 3D work in the delightful program that is SketchUp :-S
Would love to learn to use ArchiCAD, I know BIM is the future of CAD but at our Uni they dont seem to be big on encouraging use of BIM - I think it's just sticking to what they know. A shame really. Anyway, good to have you on board here at DDO!

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 13:10 
SuperAdmin
SuperAdmin

Hi, welcome to detaildesignonline, good to see someone on the forum!

I have a 3D query for you :D
How would you suggest modelling a cliff face?? Our current project is quite possibly going to be built suspended from or built into a cliff and rocks, so I'll probably need to get some renders going soon with the rocks behind.... Any suggestions?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 11:10 

Hello! You have two options depeding on the software you use in Archicad the easyest way to do it would be make a basic cliff shape use the Mesh command, that allows to drag points in up and down in the Z axis, Which allows you elevate each of the points. With enough tweaking you should be able to model and cliff you want. Then find a nice cliffe/ rocky texture (making it in photopshop would be nice) or steal it from a photograph of some cliffs. Add this to archicads texture library using that blue paintbrush thing on the toolbar, then apply to your cliff. You should get some really nice effects! Sorry for the slow reply i'v been eye deep in work on placement and with jimage:-) If you have any problems as i am assuming your using Archicad! let me know.

If your super hardcore! have a go with a program called vue7.5 (if you can find a copy) it allows you to model stupidly detailed enviorments in about 5 mintues:-) that would really kick some ass in terms of cliff modeling !

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2009, 12:04 

Also! Thanks for the comments on my website! its only about 8 months old so its pretty new:-) i didnt build it i had lots of help haha! but its nice and easy to run just upload the images to where i want and add text.

Problem at the moment with regards to BIM, all firms (who want a furture) want to impliment the use of BIM but people are totally terrified of moving away from 2D drawing as they are totally unfamilar with working in any 3D package even sketch up! nevermind working totally in BIM software. Also there's a huge cost in terms of training and downtime. The economy hasnt helped at all clients are not willing to allow laps deadlines so theres no chance go through the learning curve!.

Its a good bit of advice to try and get your head round Archicad of Revit for when you graduate or looking for placement, certainly does give an Edge.